Monday 11 November 2019

A letter to Juniors


                Desire or not, it is already the middle of the semester for all the students in my University. For now, I am sure that most of the students are having their mid semester exams, that may cause them to burn a midnight oil studying.

What stimulate me?
                In the past two three days, a lot of students especially juniors text me and asked a lot of things. Most of the questions focus on the future road of themselves which the questions are raised only when the students feel that they cannot cope with the mid-term exam. Before I continue my writing, I would like to explain two major things. First of all, I would like to say that once you chose Business Mathematics, just go ahead, no quit or fear, being confident with our choice is the only way to reach our success. Secondly, this post is not about any exam tips (some even demanded for exam tips, but I am not the lecturer). It is all about what you can do after you graduate (Just an advice, do not blame me since I am also only in Semester 5, but at least I hope I can motivate you).
                With major and minor in Business Mathematics, basically you may go to two ways after you graduated. Remember that the one you study now does not necessarily guarantee what you are going to be in the future. It is all about the attitude and how you convince the people based on the knowledge and skills that you are equipped with. It may sound too abstract at the beginning for you. Let us continue discussing.

Several Expected Careers
                If you choose to go to the major (Maths), the main focus will be on the data management. The type of data I mention here does not necessarily related to the minor or specific fields that you are going to handle. For example, Numerical Analysis, Programming, Statistics-related subjects offered here will prepare you for the data management. Even you go to the analytics, the knowledge offered by the subjects will still help you a lot. Apart from data management, you can also go to the field of academicians, where you can be the researchers after you studying Master and PhD later.
                You can also go to Minor, where the main focus differs from field to field. I take myself as example. For me, as a student with minor Finance, I can be the financial manager, financial analyst or even an actuary upon my graduation. For Business Mathematics student, the main advantage we are compared to the student with pure Finance (perhaps?) or any other fields, they are easily replaced in the IR 4.0 today. The value of the easily replaced product is always lower compared to the unique product that is hardly replaced.
                With the data management skills and the mathematical skills that students from the pure studies of the field do not have, we are at the frontline compared to them upon the graduation. I had once received request from the students of the other fields, to teach them on the analysis of data for their study. This is because R&D in the industry nowadays requires a lot of data management skills that can handle the huge database in the IR 4.0. Therefore, personally, I would always suggest my juniors to take as many as the useful or related subjects for them to use in the career field later. If possible (unless you want to save pointer), just take subjects that are not too basic such as the Principle of Management etc. so that you will not be at the back compared to the other students. I personally take 10 Finance subjects (6 in minor, 4 in elective) which the requirement is just 6.
Expand Your Knowledge
                In order to face the challenges in IR 4.0 today, it is not enough if you just read or know whatever you learnt in the textbooks. It is a must for us to know things outside the textbook such as the current issues or any other skills which are not in the course syllabus such as Python programming, chord progression or brain practice so that we are not outdated. The knowledge can be also expanded through watching useful Youtube video, communicating with experts, reading online books or even writing blog like me. The more you learn, you will notice that the more that you do not know.
                Before I end my post, I would like to give some advices to the juniors who will be choosing their minor fields two semesters later. Choose whatever you think you are interested, if none of it you are interested, then choose the minor field that is popular nowadays such as information technology, data management or data science. It is advised not to choose minor fields like law or accounting since it is impossible for you to be a professional lawyer or accountant if you do not take the whole package. I am sure you won’t be regret after reading my post.

2019-11-11
4.30 pm
Happy Double 11!

No comments:

Post a Comment